[buy CDs/DVDs online]
Aug 1986 || LP (+ CD 1987) || WUIVEND RIET |
The title is Dutch for "Windblown Reeds". 5-6 originally composed as theatre music for the play "Opus ESP" by Hans Bosch, premiered 1985 in Amsterdam.
- Matjora Is Still Alive 4.56
- Zeit (for Stephan) 6.34
- Kneeplay No. 9 (3.58)
- Walking on Wooden Legs 3.52
- Wuivend Riet Part I 6.18
- Wuivend Riet Part II 12.48 (German LP: Erdenklang IRS 942.160; CD 1987: Erdenklang 971.160; reissue CD 2002: Erdenklang ERD 2-87015/971.160)
25 April 1987 || live performance (+ MP3) || "Million Bits in Concert" |
"Johannes Schmoelling's only ever two live tracks, performed in Cologne on April 25, 1987
together with Kristian Schultze, Hubert Bognermayr, Harald Zuschrader and Matthias Thurow, are now available, remastered from the original live tapes.
They can be downloaded from March 18, 2008 on his website: www.johannesschmoelling.de"
- Matjora Is Still Alive
- Kneeplay No. 9
May 1988 || LP/CD || THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY |
"This record was inspired by Paul Spooner's Illustrated Book of Automata 'Spooner's Moving Animals' or 'The Zoo of Tranquillity', produced by Bellew Publishing Co. Ltd. 1986, published by Virgin Books. Everyone who buys a copy of the book should go and see the Cabaret mechanical Theatre, Covent Garden, London.".
The CD is nearly impossible to find, but from 21 Feb 2008 it is available as download from www.johannesschmoelling.de.
It was also re-recorded and re-released in 1998 (see later entry).
- The Anteater 2.54
- The Woodpecker 5.11
- The Wedding Cake 7.01
- The Rise of the Smooth Automaton 4.32
- The Zoo of Tranquillity 9.08 (Dedicated To Antje)
- The Lawnmower 5.46
- The Zoo and Jonas 7.02 (Theta 834 109-1/2)
"WHITE OUT - An optical illusion: the merging of heaven and earth, the absence of shadows, space without depth, without horizon.".
"This film (Axel Engstfeld's documentary film 'Antarctica Project') and Martin Burckhardt's radio play 'Bis ans Ende der Welt' [Until the End of the World] have given me inspiration and musical ideas."
(Quotes by Johanes Schmoelling.) These quotes give you a good idea of what this excellent album sounds like. Unfortunately it's deleted.
- White Out 12.01
- Navigator's Chatter 5.45
- Native Eye, Native Ear 6.50
- Ice Walk 6.09
- The Big Nail 4.38
- A Great Continent 8.17
- Anian path 5.14 (Polydor 843 395-1/2)
5 Oct 1994 || CD || MARTIN BURCKARDT/JOHANNES SCHMÖLLING: DER ZAUBERGEIGER SETTEMBRINI |
(Detusche Grammophon 445367-2)
German fairytale read by Max Goldt, with background music by Schmoelling recorded in 1989. It is not recommended by anyone I know.
8 Oct 1994 || various artists CD || KLEM: ELECTRONISCHE MUZIEK 1994 |
This is the second limited CD-release of KLEM, the Dutch fan club for electronic music. Only 1,000 copies were made.
- Galago 6.35 [different/early version of 'Jester's Nightwatch']
early 1995 || CD || LIEDER OHNE WORTE - SONGS NO WORDS |
"The title (...), and the individual tracks, are based on the style from the piano album 'Lieder ohne Worte' by felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, published in 1834."
This album has a 'lighter' feel and is more 'piano' based than his previous, but it's still excellent.
- Nursery Rhyme 5.01
- Gondola Song 4.31
- Spinning Wheel 5.51
- Jester's Nightwatch 5.45
- Autumn Song 6.39
- Huntsman's Song 3.36
- Hymnus 8.29
- Maypole Song 6.51
- Funeral March 6.08 (Erdenklang 50802)
28 April 1998 || various artists 2-CD || INFINITE HORIZONS |
Released by the US EM-fan magazine 'Beyond the Horizon'.
Johannes Schmoelling's contribution was composed/recorded in Sep 1997 at his Rietstudio in Berlin.
It's a sad but also very beautiful tune, one of his best!
In the booklet it says "Its piano melody line in the beginning is a reminder of an ancient Romanian folk song".
- Johannes Schmoelling: Lamentation of an Ancient Tree 8.08 (Horizon Music, HM-LE-001)
Aug/Sep 1998 || re-recorded CD || THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY |
"The original LP was produced in 1987. This actual [= present?] version had been re-recorded and remixed
in 1996 [sic!] with two additional new pieces at Riet Studio Berlin by Johannes Schmoelling."
- The Lawnmower 6.46
- The Woodpecker 5.08
- The Rise of the Smooth Automaton 5.14
- Contemplating Mortality 6.04
- The Anteater 3.20
- The Zoo and Jonas 5.46
- The Wedding Cake 4.51
- The Zoo of Tranquillity 10.07
- Fluid memories (For Flo) 5.04 (Erdenklang, 81042)
Dec 2000 || re-recorded CD || WHITE OUT |
Re-recorded and re-mixed in 2000 by Johannes Schmoelling (with two additional new tracks) at the Riet Studio in Berlin.
Even if the two new tracks don't really fit amongst the rest of the album, they are fine songs:
'Rain Echoes' is dark and moody, while 'A Long Way Home' is a true piano masterpiece and shows Schmoelling at his very best.
- White Out 10.26
- Navigator's Chatter 5.48
- Icewalk 6.11
- The Big Nail 4.08
- Rain Echoes 6.39
- Native Eye, Native Ear 4.58
- A Great Continent 8.14
- A Long Way Home 5.44
- Anian Path 5.48
- Icewalk (Mix 2000) 6.25 [remixed by Robert Wässer & Ulrich Schnauss]
(Viktoriapark VP 00-1; reissue CD 10 May 2010)
Oct 2001 || UK limited various artists CD || MUSIC FOR THE 3rd MILLENNIUM VOL. 3 |
A slow and slightly oriental-sounding song in the beginning, then his usual sympathetic piano comes in after a while.
Not Schmoelling's absolutely best material, but nice nevertheless. Only 1000 CDs were made, available from www.ampmusic.demon.co.uk.
- Johannes Schmoelling: Spacenight Runner 7.52 (AMP Records AMP-CD042)
7 Jan 2003 || mail order CD || JOSCZOK/SCHMÖLLING: LAUFEN |
A radio play (in German) by Dirk Josczok with additional background music & sounds by Schmoelling.
In fact the small amount of music you can hear is taken from his earlier albums, so there is no new music to be heard on this CD.
Available from www.johannesschmoelling.de.
- Wohnung Lukas 3.47
- Kindheitserinnerungen 5.36
- Der Marathonlauf 5.52
- Der Lehrer 3.14
- Im Krankenhaus 7.12
- Das Nashorn 9.29
- Lukas lernt neu Laufen 5.22
- Beim Arzt 4.32
- Auf dem Kirchturm 3.00
- Wohnung Lukas 4.23 (Viktoriapark VP 02-2)
9 Nov 2003 || mail order CD || RECYCLE OR DIE |
"RECYCLE OR DIE is a compilation of music composed for theatre and film during the last ten years.
RECYCLE OR DIE is also a hommage to people, who influenced my way through this universe
(e.g. Christoph and Edgar from TANGERINE DREAM and Johann Sebastian Bach)."
I like it and recommend it to all fans. Available from www.johannesschmoelling.de.
- L'Atelier 2.20 (Schmoelling)
- Explosive Game 3.22 (Schmoelling)
- Recycle Or Die 5.41 (Schmoelling)
- Stratosphere 6.14 (Baumann/Franke/Froese; arranged by Schmoelling)
- Broken Heart of a Broken Hero 8.19 (Schmoelling)
- Midnight in Tula 3.40 (Franke/Froese/Schmoelling)
- Buda•Pest 6.47 (Schmoelling)
- Dominion 5.06 (Franke/Froese/Schmoelling)
- Italian Scratches: 1st Scratch 4.40 (Schmoelling)
- Italian Scratches: 2nd Scratch 1.24 (Schmoelling)
- Italian Scratches: 3rd Scratch 3.06 (Schmoelling)
- The Electrified J. S. 5.21 (Schmoelling) (Viktoriapark VP 03-3)
6 Dec 2004 || mail order 2-CD || WELTMAERCHEN - WELTMUSIK |
- Der Diener des Kalifen 22.52
- Interlude Arab 2.05
- Die Weissagung des Goldvogels 13.56
- Interlude Afrika 1.37
- Neue Abenteuer im Lügenland 17.49
- Interlude India 1.38
"The CD's include 6 fairy tales (in German language) retold and written by Hubertus von Puttkamer, a friend of Johannes.
The stories are read by the famous German actor Andre Eisermann (movies: 'Kaspar Hauser', 'Schlafes Bruder').
Inbetween the stories there are 6 separate music tracks from Johannes especially composed and recorded for this project.
They will never appear on any other record."
- Kaiser und Dieb 9.50
- Interlude China 1.53
- Das Mädchen vom Mond 22.14
- Interlude Brasil 1.39
- Der Wolfsclan 19.28
- Interlude Arkt. 4.05 (Viktoriapark VP 04-4)
Feb 2005 || various artists CD + magazine || E-DITION # 6 |
Friends is warm and soothing. CD came free with a magazine. See http://www.e-ditionmag.com/
- Johannes Schmoelling: Interlude India 2.30
- Johannes Schmoelling: Friends 5.17
19 June 2006 || various artists CD + magazine || E-DITION # 13 |
This track is a "left over from the INSTANT CITY-recordings, which did not fit to the lenght of the album".
After about 3 minutes the melody starts, which for the most part is quite pleasant and sympathetic, and after about 6 minutes
a slow but heavy rhythm starts - in the whole a slightly uneven but yet pleasant song and more or less in the same style as the other tracks on INSTANT CITY.
CD came free with a magazine. See http://www.e-ditionmag.com/
- Johannes Schmoelling: You and Me 7.19
1 Aug 2006 || CD || INSTANT CITY |
Definitely one of his best and also one of his most easily accessible albums! Light, beautiful, warm, with many similarities to old Tangerine Dream albums like Logos. Buy it!
- Passing By 9.24
- Giants out of the Fog 7.03
- Instant City 4.51
- Contemplative Clouds 7.25
- Joyful Solitude 8.50
- Rikscha Square 4.07
- Viktoriapark 4.26
- A Long Time Ago 8.33
- Big Cityscapes 6.28
- It's Your Birthday 6.38
- The Time Seller 6.52 (Viktoriapark VP 18 053)
31 May 2007 || coll-2CD || IMAGES AND MEMORY - 1986-2006: AN ANTHOLOGY |
- Zeit 6.36 [from WUIVEND RIET 1986]
- Matjora Is Still Alive 4.51 [from WUIVEND RIET 1986]
- Wuivend Riet Part II 12.32 [from WUIVEND RIET 1986]
- The Anteater 2.55 [from THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY 1988]
- The Woodpecker 5.09 [from THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY 1988]
- Icewalk 6.07 [from WHITE OUT 1990]
- A Great Continent 8.19 [from WHITE OUT 1990]
- Galago 6.35 [from Various Artists CD ELECTRONISCHE MUZIEK 1994]
- Skandalon 5.04 [previously unreleased, recorded in the early 90s]
- Lamentation of an Ancient Tree 8.06 [from Various Artists CD INFINITE HORIZONS 1998]
- Spinning Wheel 5.50 [from LIEDER OHNE WORTE - SONGS NO WORDS 1995]
- Funeral March 6.07 [from LIEDER OHNE WORTE - SONGS NO WORDS 1995]
The good thing about this compilation is that it is chronological and also contains all of his "rare" tracks.
The previously unreleased track "Skandalon" is an early version of 'Giants out of the Fog' (from INSTANT CITY) recorded in the early 90s -
it actually sounds very much like Tangerine Dream at its best and I actually like it even better than the magnificent re-recording on INSTANT CITY.
The only thing I can complain about regarding this double CD is the booklet, which is only four pages and has no information about the tracks
except which album it is from - it would have been nice to read about Johannes' memories and inspirations for each of the tracks.
- The Rise of the Smooth Automaton 5.08 [from THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY 1998]
- The Wedding Cake 4.45 [from THE ZOO OF TRANQUILLITY 1998]
- Rain Echoes 6.36 [from WHITE OUT 2000]
- A Long Way Home 5.42 [from WHITE OUT 2000]
- Spacenight Runner 7.46 [from various Artists CD MUSIC FOR THE 3rd MILLENNIUM VOL. 3, 2001]
- Italian Scratches 7.41 [from RECYCLE OR DIE 2003]
- Recycle Or Die 5.37 [from RECYCLE OR DIE 2003]
- Passing By 9.23 [from INSTANT CITY 2006]
- Joyful Solitude 8.49 [from INSTANT CITY 2006]
- You and Me 7.21 [from various Artists CD E-DITION # 13, 2006]
- Friends 5.13 [from various Artists CD E-DITION # 6, 2005] (2-CD: Viktoriapark VP 18 063)
9 June 2008 || CD || EARLY BEGINNINGS - ANTHOLOGY 1979-1985 |
A collection of previously unreleased tracks recorded while Johannes was a member of Tangerine Dream (1979-1985).
While it is clear that he had not yet fully developed his unique sense for beautiful melodies, these tracks still are
very nice listening, especially if you like Tangerine Dream during that period - many of them sound very much like TD!
Johannes also provides interesting liner notes about each track, plus interesting photos from the time.
- The Blue Door 2.44
- The Blue Window 2.29
- Nevermind 6.28
- Perpetual Motion 3.49
- The Avatar 3.58
- Walking on Sunset Blvd. 4.03
- It Better End Soon 2.54
- Violence in the Street 5.49
- Echo Village 4.19
- The Soldier Theme 2.25
- Riding the Bike 3.59
- Tracks in the Snow 6.32
- Metamorphic Forest 2.50
- Circles 4.01 (Viktoriapark VP 18 073)
9 Dec 2009 || CD || A THOUSAND TIMES |
1 is warm, cosy, calm and sympathetic. 2 is also warm and sympathetic but has more rhythm.
3 has a nice sequencer, and is lively with a fast melody that is a bit too loud for my taste.
4 is a bit strange and dramatic, but sometimes calmer, sometimes pompous.
5 is calm, warm and comforting. Very beautiful! 6 is relatively beautiful, with a rhythm that is increasing until the end.
7 and 8 are also relatively beautiful and are pendeling between calm and intensive.
9 has a rather airy and cosy TD sequencer/rhythm/melody style. 10 sounds like a piano version of a track from 1980 TD LP Tangram.
11 is a "bonus track" by Jonas Behrens, and technically it is very Schmoelling-style. It's not bad at all,
but sounds more like a "Schmoelling wanna-be" than an attempt to find his own musical identity. In short, like he "plays it safe".
- Monochrome 6.52
- Diorama 5.40
- Abacus 5.24
- Stigma 6.48
- Funeral Tears 5.51
- A Thousand Times 6.16
- Blueprint 5.58
- A Thousand Times (Reprise) 5.45
- Kiterunner 5.40
- Palace of Dreams 5.42
- Footsteps 4.39 [bonus track by Jonas Behrens] (Viktoriapark VP 18 083)
26 Sep 2011 || CD || TIME AND TIDE |
Apart from the fact that four songs were co-written with Jonas Behrens, this CD has no surprises musically, which is probably a good thing when it comes to Schmoelling.
The first track starts out like "White Out", and is probably the most beautiful song on the album, especially towards the end - it should have been longer though!
Other excellent tracks are the last two, and 2 & 6 are also pleasant. 7 is my least favourite, where electric guitar and drum sounds ruin the atmosphere.
The most unusual track is 4, which has a haunting but also beautiful atmosphere.
- Splendid Isolation 7.53
- Lone Warrier 3.48
- The Gift 6.47 (Behrens)
- The Answer 5.51
- Zero Gravity 7.45
- Beacon of Hope 5.50 (Behrens/Schmoelling)
- Life in the Dark 4.25 (Behrens/Schmoelling)
- Genetic Diversity 7.44 (Behrens/Schmoelling)
- Time and Tide 9.12 (Behrens/Schmoelling) (Viktoriapark VP 18 103)
15 Oct 2011 || limited CDM || Loom: 100 001 |
- The Light That Failed 5.52 (Composed, performed and produced by Jerome Froese)
- Sun Castle 4.28 (Composed, performed and produced by Robert Waters)
- On My Way 5.15 (Composed, performed and produced by Johannes Schmoelling)
- The Hand of Bosch 3.23 (Composed, performed and produced by Robert Waters) (Moonpop, MOON LTDCD-003)
21 Feb 2012 || live 2-CD || LOOM: SCORED [Live 15 Oct 2011] |
- Palace of Dreams 5.14
- Modulation Agents 7.15
- La Marche 8.11
- Catwalk 8.18
- Going West 5.39
- Matjora Is Still Alive 5.01
- A Room in the House Closed to the Public 6.23
- A Long Way Home 5.04
- Abacus 5.35
- Crystal Red 5.21
Performed live 15 Oct 2011 in Oirshot/Eindhoven, Holland, by Jerome Froese, Johannes Schmoelling & Robert Waters as part of the E-Live festival.
- Circles 3.54
- Towards the Evening Star 6.10
- The Rise of the Smooth Automaton 4.22
- My Reality at 52 Degrees of Latitude 6.12
- Cartoony Universe 7.59
- White Eagle 5.31
- Beach Theme 9.12
- A Mellow Morning 4.23
- Time and Tide 7.36
- Choronzon 6.36 (Viktoriapark, VP 18 113)
16 July 2013 || limited CDM || Loom: 200 002 |
Limited edition of 500 copies.
- Rejuvenation 8.19 (J. Froese/J. Schmoelling/R. Waters)
- A Long Time Ago (Live Sep 2012 at the A38 in Budapest, Hungary) 9.16 (J. Schmoelling)
- Jet 5.55 (J. Froese/J. Schmoelling/R. Waters)
- Streethawk (Live Sep 2012 at the A38 in Budapest, Hungary) 8.40 (J. Schmoelling/E. Froese/C. Franke) (Viktoriapark, VP LTDCD-001)
6 Dec 2013 || CD || LOOM: THE TREE HATES THE FOREST |
Composed, performed and produced by Jerome Froese, Johannes Schmoelling & Rob Waters.
- Polaroids from Anywhere 8.09
- Cloudwalk 4.35
- Quantal Highways 4.17
- The Vedic Ritual 8.39
- A Grand Solar Minimum 7.07
- Bandhu 9.33
- A Night Out at the Cirqus Voltaire 6.17
- Chants Beyond the Underworld 5.07
- Emerald Suite 8.27
- Tachycardia 5.54 (Viktoriapark Records VP 18 123)
5 March 2016 || limited CDM || Loom: 300 003 |
500 copies only.
- Below the Playfield
- Time Scanner
- Bit Byter (Moonpop moon ltdcd-005)
20 July 2016 || live 2-CD || LOOM: YEARS IN MUSIC [Live 5 March 2016] |
- Prologue 1.03
- Polaroids from Anywhere 8.20
- Cloudwalk 5.56
- Perpetual Motion 4.16
- The Speech of Johannes Schmoelling 3.00
- Love Theme from Logos 5.41
- Rejuvenation 8.30
- Metamorphosis 3.17
- Cartoony Universe 7.34
- Tachycardia 6.52
Recorded live 5 March 2016 at the UFA Fabrik, Berlin.
- Epilogue 0.59
- Emerald Suite 9.33
- Towards the Evening Star 6.35
- Time Scanner 5.36
- Below the Playfield 7.07
- Piano Improvisation Kneeplay No. 9 (6.23)
- Excerpt from Force Majeure 3.19
- Logos Final Theme 5.01
- Time & Tide 7.25
- The Origin 6.07
- Choronzon 7.42 (Viktoriapark VP 1613)
15 Oct 2016 || CD || A THOUSAND TIMES PART 2 |
- Prelude 4.58
- Haze of Time 5.10 (Behrens/Schmoelling)
- Wings Above 6.35
- A New Morning 6.25
- A Chat with My Robot 6.26 (Behrens)
- Augmented Reality 6.58
- The Onion Way 6.07
- March of the Thousands 6.00 (Behrens/Schmoelling)
- Amitié 4.52 (Viktoriapark VP 1614)
3 June 2017 || reissue/remix CD || SONGS NO WORDS - LIEDER OHNE WORTE 2017 |
Tracks 1-8 originally recorded 1992-1994 at Rietstudio, Berlin,
and re-arranged, remixed and remastered at Red-Kite Studio 2017.
("The Maypole Song" from the original 1995 CD is not included.)
Track 9 recorded in 2015 at Red-Kite Studio, Wendland.
- The Nursery Rhyme Song 6.10
- The Gondola Song 4.39
- The Spinning Wheel Song 5.52
- The Jester's Nightwatch Song 5.58
- The Huntsman's Song 3.27
- The Autumn Song 6.31
- The Hymnus Song 8.32
- The Funeral March Song 6.12
- The Piper Man's Song 6.27 (Viktoriapark VP 1715)
18 Oct 2017 || CD || DIARY OF A COMMON THREAD |
- Awakening 3.20
- The Central Theme 7.30
- Inside the Labyrinth 6.47
- At Nightfall 7.23
- The Wrong Canvas 5.40
- Voluntary Farewell 5.50
- The Common Thread 2.39 (Viktoriapark VP 1716)
Copyright (c) 1996-09-15 Jonas Wårstad.
Last update 2017-10-18.
Back to Tangerine Dream main page
[buy CDs/DVDs online]